There are two types of Article – Indefinite Article (A, An) and Definite Article (The).
Use of Indefinite Article:
1. It is used for unknown – A boy is standing of the door.
2. To show the measurement we use “a” or “an” – 60 km an hour, 5 hundred rupees in a month etc.
3. Whenever we use “Such” to show the surprise then we use “a” or “an” – Such a beautiful girl!
4. Whenever we use “What” to show the surprise then we use “a” or “an” – What a joke!
5. With the “How” we will use “a” or “an” to show the surprise – How an ugly girl!
6. With the “Many” we will use “a” or “an” to show countless – Many a boy is absent today.
7. With - Rest, Dip, Exercise, Hurry, Noise, Bath, Lie, Word, Walk, Nap, Headache and Mood we will use “a” or “an” - Don’t make a noise.
8. If “So” use to show the surprise and after it there is an adjective then we will use “a” or “an” after the adjective – So beautiful a girl!
9. If “As” use to show the surprise and after it there is an adjective then we will use “a” or “an” after the adjective – As beautiful a girl!
10. If “Too” use to show the surprise and after it there is an adjective then we will use “a” or “an” after the adjective – Too dark a night!
11. Normally, “an” is used with (A, E, I, O, U) which is vowel but the rules says that if the pronunciation comes with vowel in Hindi then we use “an” otherwise we will use “a” for the Hindi consonant. For example – An M.L.A, A unique, An honest man etc.
Use of Definite Article:
1. It is used for known – The boy in the corner is my brother.
2. To make certain thing we use “The” – Remember the word, I told you first time.
3. Before the “Truth” we use “The” – I speak the truth.
4. Before the common noun singular number we use “The” – The chair is new.
5. Before the parts of body name we use “The” – The nose, The ears etc.
6. Before all the invention we use “The” – The watch, The pen, The computer etc.
7. Before all the historical accident we will use “The” – The green revolution, The Gulf war etc.
8. For the entire parts of universe name we use “The” – The sun, The earth, The moon etc.
9. For the name of zone we use “The” – The east, The west etc.
Note – If the meaning is not related to zone then we will not include “Article” – East or west India is the best.
10. Each noun which comes before preposition takes definite article – The Gold of South Africa.
11. Before all the religious books we use definite article – The Ramayana, The Bible etc.
12. Before all the novels, serials, and film’s name we use definite article – The Godan, The Santi, The Devdas etc.
13. Before the superlative degree definite article take place – The best, The worst etc.
14. Before the Former and Latter we use “The” – The former chapter is more interesting than the latter chapter.
15. For the parallel comparison we use definite article – The more Pepsi, the more crickets.
16. For the musical instrument use of definite article is necessary – The Tabla, The Harmonium etc.
17. For the news papers definite article is necessary – The Aryavart, The Hindustan etc.
After the case chapter article is most important chapter in the English Language. If you complete the chapter your writing skills will develop soon.